Friday, February 21, 2014

6 days 'til surgery! - gratitude for my partner

Today I got a confirmation call from Dr. Bowers' office in San Mateo. I'm all set for my 4pm pre-op appointment on Feb. 26th, and surgery is scheduled for 9:30am on Feb. 27th. I'm getting eager and anxious to head North and get this show on the road!

I'm grateful that my partner is excited about this with me. Today she texted me to say, "The fact that I get to be there with you when this awesome thing happens is thrilling, and I'm excited to see the results. I'm eager to take this next step on your journey with you." It's pretty incredible to be emotionally supported by the person who knows and sees me best. She's been supportive every step of the way, and I know that she'll make recovery as painless as possible just by being by my side. I really have no worries about everything that is to come, because I know we're in it together.

S. and I met about a year after I'd had top surgery and started T, so this is really the first big transition-related step she'll see me through. She's fiercely protective and has advocated for me in medical settings in the past. A few years ago, I was in the hospital for a blood infection and it was a scary time. The doctors were not in the least trans-competent, and she took them to task for it. I'm generally quite comfortable standing up for myself and calling people out for the messed up transphobic things they say, but when I'm sick or not at my best, the last thing I want to do is deal with that kind of thing. I don't have any worries about Dr. Bowers' staff, but it's comforting just to know that if anything negative were to happen, S. would have my back. The word "partner" truly describes who S. is to me - my partner in life and love, my ally, my best friend.

OK, enough with the mushy stuff... Just gotta express how grateful I am to be with this awesome person :)

No comments:

Post a Comment